Yams or Suran or Zimikand have been traditional and cheaper sources of carbohydrates and energy.
- Yams contain high carbohydrate, protein, vitamins, antioxidants and have a good mix of essential minerals like calcium, copper, zinc, selenium, iron, phosphorous, iron, manganese and magnesium. It also contains a good amount of dietary fibers which nourishes the body.
- and dietary fibers. They are known to contain phytochemicals that protect the lining of the digestive tract which helps Improves digestion, strength by reducing bloating and irregular bowel movements.
- Used in healthy weight management, which reduces the bad cholesterol in the body.
- Regulates the blood flow, thereby reducing and hypertension.
- It’s a good cardiac medicine, which prevents unnecessary clots in the blood vessels.
- It maintains the hormonal balance in women and provides relief from pre-menstrual syndrome.
- It improves the appetite, heal ulcers, bronchial irritation, cough and aids faster wound healing.
- The herb gives instant energy to the body as it is a high calorie food and prevents weakness.
- It strengthens muscles and bones.
- Used in the treatment of piles or fistula.
- they are even credited with increasing the production of red blood cells so if your are low on Heamoglobin , this is a MUST to include in your menu
Maharashtrian Suran Koshimbir /Salad
- 300 grams yam/suran, cut into thin and small pieces
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 4 tablespoons Fresh coconut , grated
- 2 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- 2 Green Chillies , chopped
- 1 Lemon juice
- 1 pinch Sugar
- Salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- To begin making the Surnachi Koshimbir Recipe, wash, peel and cut the yam into 1 inch cubes.
- In a pressure cooker, combine the yam along with 1/2 a cup of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles. Turn off the flame. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Once the pressure has released, drain the water and keep the yam aside.
- Heat a shallow pan with oil on medium flame, add the boiled yam and stir fry, until the outsides get crispy.
- Add a pinch of salt and continue to fry till it gets a brown colour. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped onions, coriander leaves, lemon juice, salt and a pinch of sugar and the yam. Mix them well.
- To season, heat a tadka pan on medium flame add oil once it heats up, add mustard seeds and a pinch of hing and leave it on the stove for 10 seconds. turn off the flame. Pour it over the yam salad and mix well and serve.